- The term checkmate comes from the Persian phrase “shah mat” which translates into “The King is Dead”.
- From the starting position, there are eight different ways to Checkmate in two moves, and 355 different ways to Checkmate in three moves.
- The first chessboard with alternating light and dark squares first appeared in Europe in 1090.
- The second book ever printed in the English language was about Chess!
- In many languages, the Pawn is a foot solider, but in German & Spanish, it’s a peasant or a farmer instead.
- Chess is called “The Game Of Kings”, because for many centuries it was played primarily by nobility and the upper classes.
- The longest chess game theoretically possible is 5,949 moves.
- The new pawn move, advancing two spaces on its first move instead of one, was first introduced in Spain in 1280.